Our firm advises corporate clients on a broad range of commercial transactions and arrangements, particularly in the high-tech and life sciences industries. Our services in this field range from the planning and structuring stages of the transaction through the preparation and negotiation of the transaction documents, often involving complicated, industry-specific knowledge.
Commercial transactions handled by our firm include distribution agreements, OEM/reseller agreements, supply, purchase and sale agreements, manufacturing agreements, loan and credit agreements (secured and unsecured), software license agreements, biotechnology licensing agreements, semiconductor licensing agreements, cooperation and joint venture agreements and other intellectual property licensing agreements.
We apply our legal know-how and advise each client with respect to the unique technology and intellectual property issues associated with its distinct technology environment and the specific transaction at hand.
Our commercial transactions practice involves both domestic transactions between Israeli businesses and cross-border arrangements between Israeli and international businesses. These transactions often involve technology giants and multinationals from North America, Europe and Asia.
We also counsel our clients on their interactions with the Office of the Chief Scientist and the Investment Center, both part of Israel’s Ministry of Industry, Trade and Labor. These authorities provide financial aid and tax abatements to technology companies for R&D and manufacturing activities.
At Sharir, Shiv & Co., we analyze commercial transactions in an integrated fashion, considering the industry as well as the multiple legal fields and elements that might apply to a specific transaction. Our team has acquired significant experience in identifying the unique legal “pitfalls” associated with different types of transactions and in assisting our clients craft appropriate solutions.
Examples of our work in this area include:
- Agreements for the license of enterprise software and sale of hardware to leading cellular operators in the US and Europe by an Israeli company for a total of USD 40 million.
- Internet search revenue-sharing agreement for an Israeli internet company generating millions of USD annually.
- Establishment of an internet start-up incubator in Eastern Europe for a European client.
- Computer chip manufacturing agreements with FABs, for “FABless” Israeli start-ups.
- Collaboration and license agreement between a major international seed company and our client, a publicly traded Israeli biotech company, in the amount of USD 35 million as well as royalties, research cost reimbursement and milestone-related payments, coupled with an equity investment of up to USD 30 million.
- Multimillion dollar software license agreements with insurance companies and financial institutions worldwide for Israeli enterprise software companies.
- Multimillion dollar factoring and purchase financing agreements for Israeli telecom equipment manufacturers.